LIQUOR STORE OF THE YEAR
In its 70th year, the Liquor Stores Association of Western Australia (LSAWA) has awarded its highest accolade to North Fremantle institution, Old Bridge Cellars at an awards night over the weekend.
The LSAWA represents independent liquor stores run by WA families, giving small businesses a voice among those of big corporations in the industry.
Old Bridge Cellars secured both the ‘Metropolitan Liquor Store of the Year’ and the overall state ‘Liquor Store of the Year’, just weeks after taking home the top award at the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce Business Awards for ‘Fremantle Ports 2022 Business of the Year’.
Old Bridge Cellars Proprietor, Jay Beeson said they wouldn’t have made it to where they are without the support of the industry as a whole.
“Over 10 years ago we took over Old Bridge Cellars and set out to do something different. To champion smaller producers, artisan products and offer a one stop shop. To deliver best practice customer service, to introduce new products to the market and host exciting events,” said Mr Beeson.
“We feel privileged to have learned from some stalwarts of the industry who took us under their wing over the past decade and hope that we are able to help and inspire the next generation of liquor retailers to champion what we truly believe - that it's not alcohol in a bottle, it's art in a glass.”
“Receiving this award from the LSAWA is an amazing acknowledgment of our hard work and our commitment to the industry.”
LSA WA CEO, Peter Peck said this year’s event was the best in years.
“There has been so much to celebrate and commemorate this year but at the end of the day it’s about honouring and acknowledging the demanding work put in by these small family-owned businesses.
“The contribution that our members and suppliers make to the local community often goes unnoticed, so this is an event to remind everyone the important role they play.”
“The Lion Liquor Industry Awards recognise the great extent that teams and families go to provide responsible service of alcohol across the entirety of this vast state.”
“I congratulate the award winners and thank all our partners for their ongoing support.”
The full list of winners from the Lion Liquor Industry Awards 2022 can be viewed below.
- Peter Basioli WA Liquor Store of the Year - Old Bridge Cellars North Fremantle
- Metropolitan Liquor Store of the Year - Old Bridge Cellars North Fremantle
- Country Liquor Store of the Year - Sam’s Cellars Exmouth and Liquor Barons Northam
- Anita Grace Community Service Award - Liquor Barons Morley- James McKay
- Lion Liquor Industry Media Award - Tom Marlow (7 Regional News)
- WA Young Retailer of The Year - Luke Watkins - Liquor Barons
- Sales Representative of the Year – Beer - Ben Koontz - Good Drinks
- Sales Representative of the Year - Wine - Dianne Petrich - Brown Family Wine Group
- Sales Representative of the Year - Spirit - Brad Martin – Brown-Forman
- Supplier of the Year - Beer - Carlton and United Breweries
- Supplier of the Year - Wine - Samuel Smith and Sons
- Supplier of the Year - Spirit - Brown- Forman